Organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO
Endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc.
Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education
Supported by Japan Airlines and Tombow Pencil Co., Ltd.
The United Nations has designated 2001-2010 as the “International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World.” Not only should young people benefit from this global movement, but they should be empowered to play a leading role in the creation of a culture of peace. The theme of this year’s International Essay Contest is “The role of media and information and communication technologies in building a peaceful world.” Young people from around the world are invited to submit their creative ideas on this theme.
* This theme was a central topic discussed at the UNESCO Euro-Mediterranean Youth Forum held in November 2006.
Theme: “The role of media and information and communication technologies in building a peaceful world”— TV, radio, Internet and other forms of media have great influence in shaping our lives and society. What should be the role of the media and communication technologies in the future. How would you make use of these various tools of communication to help create a better world.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 800 words or less, typed or printed in English, French, Spanish or German
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) fax number (7) e-mail address (8) nationality (9) age as of June 30, 2007 (10) sex (11) school name and grade (12) word count
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
Please enclose a list of participants’ names and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
(Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.)
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or e-mail.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the sponsors.
Deadline: Entries must be received by June 30, 2007.
Awards: The following awards will be given in the Childrenfs category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (Approx. US$840) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (Approx. US$420) … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2007. (Travel expenses will be covered by the sponsor.)
Please send your entries to: International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation 1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
E-mail: essay@goipeace. or.jp